KRI LEARNS TO BLOG!

Friday, August 19, 2005

Misadventures With a Kitchen Appliance

They say machines and women don't mix. I just found out they sometimes don't mix with men either. Especially kitchen appliances; cheap juice extractors in particular.

I just bought a Pensonic juice extractor for less than 100 ringgit because I thought it's time to wean myself off coffee and switch to something healthier. It was doing funny things to my kidneys or bladder or both. So, with a juice extractor in the office I can just fix myself a healthy glass of fruit juice at the press of a button. Or so I thought.

After unpacking the gadget and poring over the manual, I was ready for my first do-it-yourself life-preserving fruit juice. I hopped over to the fruit stalls across the street and selected a few ripe succulent Siamese mangoes. The likes of Mat Bahadon and Procek think anything Siamese, except the cat, is succulent. . Well, anyway, here come healthier juice-drinking days fo me; goodbye mamak foodstalls serving sugar-spiked watered down juices!

Yes! Notice how you get a particular high whenever you gain control over certain aspects of your life? This was one of them. I was floating in that same kind of euphoria as I peeled the mangoes, cut them up into small pieces and threw them into the machine. One jab at the button and I waited in anticipation of my first stream of health giving Siamese mango juice. But, no juice.

I stuffed in some more mango flesh into the machine and still, no juice. Maybe a little water would help it along. No wonder those mamak guys added the water, I thought they were cheating us. But, after about half a bottle of mineral water, still no juice. All I get in the whirring machine was a mass of mango puree, too thick to flow out through the small hole. And by the time I realised that disaster was about to strike, it was too late!

The gooey stuff was beginning to seep through and flowing down the sides of the machine when I detected a burning smell. I quickly switched off the machine, opened it up and poured everything out into any container I could find. I got gobs and gobs of the yellow stuff all over my table and floor. Phew! I managed to save the new gadget but spent the rest of the evening cleaning up everything.

When you're on a good thing, you cannot just give it up. You've to persevere, right? But I wasn't ready to take the easy route by sticking with apples, carrots and starfruits. No pain, no gain. So the next day I bought some mangoesteens. I reckoned I was going to get lots of juice out of them because they were, well, juicy and not as pulpy as the mangoes.

And yes, I watched with a sense of achievement as the thick pinkish mangoesteen juice began to ooze out of the tap. I was fun to see how the machine scraped the stones clean and spat them out all over the floor. After about a quarter glass, it stopped flowing. No problem, just add some water. Still no flow and... Oh no! Not again!

Later while cleaning the parts, I realized that the filter had been clogged up by the skin of the fruit stones. It was the same problem on the previous day too, but I didn't see it because the fibre and the flesh of the mangoes were of the same colour. But the manual didn't say anything about that. But now I know and I'm passing down this wisdom: Juicers and the mango don't tango.

I'll stick with apples, oranges, carrots and starfruits fron now on. However, handling sticky goo two days in a row didn't do any good on the ego. So, I went down to Kak Timah's and ordered coffee. The kidneys and the bladder will just have to bear with me in the meantime.

10 Comments:

  • Try adding a hot cup of strong coffee to the mix. The coffee will do to the seeds what it is doing to your kidneys and you can eliminate the problem of the seeds at the same time that you are eliminating your kidneys.
    Two birds with one stone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 PM  

  • I use my juice extractor for mixing paint.
    Works great.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 PM  

  • kri,
    your juice extractor is a little choosy, huh?
    Are your yin and yang in harmony? :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:31 AM  

  • Just go and buy the fruit juice. Save electricity and the peeling and the mess.
    I would recommend Plum Juice from the makers of Sunsweet Prunes. Of course there are other real fruit juices around, even in Sungai Petani.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 12:20 PM  

  • Prune juice has a tendency to intefere with my jogging. I get sudden urges to increase my pace considerably along with a definite destination in mind and at my age sudden urges need control. Without control, things can sometimes become messy.
    My yin and my yang are in total agreement during these times. To reach my destination as quickly as possible.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:19 PM  

  • Read what you have written concerning the enviourment in which you live and could sense the love and pride that you have in it and also the saddeness concerning the destruction taking place.
    The pictures would not be out of place on post cards.
    It is a beautiful country and I thank you for sharing a bit of it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • Yet45urp: Bet the paint tasted great, huh. Bring you potty along while you jog, just don't mess up our public places. As for the village, thank God they have stopped operations. I can now see new growth on the bald patch.

    Anasalwa: I don't know, maybe I wasn't facing in the right direction.

    Pok Ku: That would be too easy. Can't beat that Air Buah Gelas Besor in KT though.

    By Blogger Kri, at 6:03 PM  

  • I missed the air buah gelas besor in KT so much..

    By Blogger atiza, at 2:02 PM  

  • hey go easy on your kidney babe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

  • kri,
    Dr. Procek Health Tips: If you want orange juice eat a whole orange if one is not enough eat two. If you want mango juice, eat the whole mango fruit.
    By doing this you will get the benefit of not only the juice but also the fibres in the fruit which is good for your intestine. If possible eat also the skin.
    Then drink a lot of water.
    You can also save a hundred buck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home