KRI LEARNS TO BLOG!

Sunday, October 10, 2004

My Boss My Buddy

Some well-meaning friends are plotting to uproot me from my current idyllic existence in the village with a couple of 'more meaningful' offers. I don't know the details of their offers yet but I'm a bit apprehensive about working for your own friends. I think the boss-worker relationship tend to erase the friendship built over the years.

When I came back from Kuala Lumpur ten years ago, I worked for a neighbour for a short while. In the village where we grew up together, I used to call him Badet -- short for Abang Det (Abang, because he was much older than me and Det, short for Muhadzir, his real name). In the office, I addressed him as Tuan Haji, a more respectful term used by everybody else because I didn't feel comfortable calling my boss by his village nickname. And I didn't think he was either. That continued after office hours and even after I left the company.

He ended up being my ex-boss; not the Badet I used to play polis sentri with anymore. But he got the better end of the bargain -- I am still a kid he grew up with in the village, I am still his ex-employee and he can still call me Kri forever and ever!

I guess I'd still have to look at the details of their offers and see if I can squeeze in a friendship clause somewhere in there.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Kri... thank you so much for your encouraging words, I truely appriciate the lift from knowing that I am part of a real global community, wow.
    I have a strong opinion of hiring or working for friends, and a long story thats mostly blogged in my June/July archives...when I came into a little money early this year I wanted to do a LOT of improvements on my funky old housetrailer and land. Being a nice gal, I hired friends that have also helped me before.. well the upshot is the money's gone, and the work is still not finished! I know that it WILL get done eventually, they mean well and are still friends but got "busy", hmmmm. It changed how I feel about them a little I think...
    Only you can judge in your heart wether 'more meaningful' work would be worth changing what sounds like your pretty happy-the-way-it-is life, you'll just have to think it over real thoughorly... regards, Maggie Keep us posted!

    By Blogger magz, at 10:23 PM  

  • We really won't know where or when our "rezeki" will come from. Allahuahalm. But I agree that working for a friend or relative would be tougher than working somewhere else.
    May you will always be blessed with all the rezeki you need.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home