KRI LEARNS TO BLOG!

Friday, October 08, 2004

Roll Your Own

Posted by Hello

I belong to the roll-your-own fraternity as I smoke rokok daun ever since coming back to live in the village 10 years ago. Most of the villagers roll their own rokok daun, tufts of black Javanese tobacco rolled in strips of dried nipah shoots. With the recent hike in cigarette prices, many townsfolks are switching to rolling their own too. Rolling your own rokok daun requires patience and skill; expert rollers can do it while driving a car. Both acts are equally bad for your health, I agree.

Last Saturday, I threw away my rokok daun before getting in a taxi. The taxi driver told me that it was alright to smoke in his taxi as he also smoked rokok daun. He has been smoking for 38 of the last 40 years. He stopped smoking for two years on doctor's orders but returned to the habit when he found that he didn't get any healthier. He was an expert roller because he reached out for his tobacco and nipah leaves in his centre console while telling me about all this and started to roll one rokok daun. I was sitting in the front seat so I secured the safety belt, just in case.

How come, I asked. He lighted his rokok daun and continued his story. His appetite improved and had to have four big meals a day. He began to put on a lot of weight and went out of breath easily everytime he tried to do something as simple as taking a walk. He couldn't even wash his taxi without panting for breath. I have heard this kind of weird story before but never a first-person account like this one. I shuddered at the prospect of being helplessly fat and breathless. I took out my tobacco pouch and started to roll my own rokok daun.

I had planned to stop smoking or at least reduce my tobacco consumption beginning this Ramadan. But, now this.

7 Comments:

  • Pakcik... I do not claim to be an expert but I did do A-level health biology and I think it can be explained as such.

    Nicotine supresses appetite, so when it is stopped/reduced, appetite increases... at least until the body learns to cope with the lack of nicotine again. The panting and difficulty breathing, are subsequently the effects of the body being unfit and unable to cope with the changes in body weight and mass as well as the previous damage of the lungs due to the tar and smoke of the 'rokok'. This, combined with the longing and psychological justifications of wanting to smoke, may have caused him to conclude that it's better for him to smoke.

    So, what the pakcik teksi needed to do really, was not actually start smoking again... but to have started exercising a little more. ;)

    Hope that helps a little... Good luck for Ramadan!

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 9:44 AM  

  • Quitting smoking is easy Kris. I have done it 1000 times.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 12:03 PM  

  • Whoa DaisyBoo! Now tell us the good news. But really, I'm just trying to avoid the second-hand smoke which is more dangerous :)
    I admire your persistence, Pok Ku. They can't blame us for not trying, can they?

    By Blogger Kri, at 7:18 PM  

  • Just remembered the first 2 lines of the pantun:
    "Hisap rokok tembakau china
    "keluar asap berbunga bunga.."

    Sambung , suhaimi sambung

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 4:21 PM  

  • Kri, in my case, Ramadhan always help to suppress my appetite.

    So, this coming Ramadhan, if you plan to stop smoking, probably Ramadhan will also help to suppress yr appetite. So it's a win-win.

    Now, probably the istiqamah after Ramadhan is the harder part. ;-)

    By Blogger Honeytar, at 3:00 PM  

  • btw KRi, I went for a team building last few years. We had this jog-a-long with yr team. We can tell apart the smokers & non-smokers even from far. (smokers always came last).

    Smokers arteries are clogged up, thus less oxigen run in their blood and result in the panting.

    By Blogger Honeytar, at 3:06 PM  

  • Honeytar: Smokers usually trail behind because we are such gentlemen :) and hey, dogs pant too and they don't smoke.
    Pok Ku: That reminds me of another -- "Ayam berkokok atas batang; ada rokok bagi sebatang." Of course, now you have to add another line: "Satu batang lima kupang!"

    By Blogger Kri, at 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home