KRI LEARNS TO BLOG!

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Tracing My Ancestors

How far up the family tree can you trace your ancestors?

I did a little sniffing several years ago and came up with some interesting answers. You know how things are in the villages in those days -- a marriage usually meant the merging of two families and suddenly you ended up with a handful of instant uncles, aunts and the assorted cousins. I was curious about who came before my paternal grandfather and how are they connected to all these truckloads of relatives far and near.

The elders, may God bless their souls, who explained to me the connection between this relative to that relative are long gone now.I had to do a lot of filtering of all that extended family connections to come up with only those branching out from the same family tree. But if I hadn't asked, these elders would've taken all that information with them.

Here's the list of my ancestors, from my father up: Othman >> Hussain >> Ali >> Musa. For most people that's quite a lot -- some people only know up to their grandfather but I managed to get two rungs up to my great great grandfather, including the names of all the spouses and offsprings of each fore-father.

MUSA and his wife, Salimah, had seven children -- Jusoh, Dahaman, Abu Bakar, ALI, Ibrahim, Tossa and Mek Nah. I got most of my information from my grandaunt, Sepiah, daughter of Mek Nah. She has passed on now, may God bless her kind soul, but she was probably my oldest living realtive at the time.

My great grandfather Ali and his wife, Kecik, had three children -- HUSSAIN, Abu Bakar and Khatijah. My grandfather, Hussain, had four wives, i.e. Cik Nah, Sarah, Thariah and Maliah. Sarah and Thariah had no children, Maliah had one but the first wife bore him four children -- Shuib, OTHMAN, Zainol and Abdul Muthalib.

On to Othman, my father who first married Kholijah and had a daughter, Hasnah. Then he married my mom, Zabedah and they had two sons -- my brother Emran and yours truly here. Mom had two daughters, Fatimah and Azizah from her previous marriage before marrying my father. She remarried after my father passed away and has another two children, Bazli and Rusni. Ours is quite a mixed bag of marbles with different colours and sizes.

I have also managed to find four other generations beyond my great great grandfather through "other" means but that's another story meant for my next posting. In the meantime, browse the list and see if you can find anyone familiar. For all we know, we could be related!

6 Comments:

  • This is the third.. lost two comments...
    And if this one appears..I'll write the fourth

    By Blogger Count Byron, at 12:58 PM  

  • (Yes it does...)

    I said I was excited reading through your list of names... but alas..

    We could have been related if not for the name Dahaman missed mine by TWO alphabets..

    Nice work of ancestral search Kri. Well done

    By Blogger Count Byron, at 1:00 PM  

  • Thank god we are not related.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM  

  • Count B: Two letters! As they say; a near miss is still a miss.

    Count D: I love you, too!

    By Blogger Kri, at 2:08 PM  

  • Kri,
    This is an interesting entry. We might be cousins or something. My paaternal grandparents were from Kedah. My father never met his father let alone his grandfather.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:10 PM  

  • We must be, going by the abvious family traits. All the female members of the family have great legs too. ;)

    By Blogger Kri, at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home