KRI LEARNS TO BLOG!

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Forever in My Blue Jeans

One of my customers today commented about my jeans. It wasn't because he had anything against jeans as an appropriate office attire. Eventhough he phrased it in jest, I knew that he, a young man in his 20's, found it odd for a man my age to be wearing blue jeans! He wasn't the only one; the young girls from the next office would sometimes tease me about it too.

Jeans have been around for 80 years before I was born; my father and grandfather would have worn them too if those denim workpants with rivets on the pockets were available in the shops back then. I was already wearing them even before these young people were born. We didn't have many brands to choose from -- only Levi's, Saddleking and Lee. The Chinese preferred Lee jeans at the time; possibly because the brand name sounded Chinese.

These young people probably thinks that the jeans along with other popular culture icons belong to their generation only. Pathetic, isn't it?

Someone wrote in 1969: "Denim is one of the world's oldest fabrics, yet it remains eternally young." Yeah! I'm going to continue wearing them as long as they still make my size 36!


Click to listen. Song courtesy of Bellz.

6 Comments:

  • DENIM

    Enough can not be said about denim
    blue, black, stonewashed, white
    levis, wranglers, lees, guess, gitano, chic
    and all the others
    I have lived my life in them
    if I had my way
    I would be buried in them
    denim worn
    from the cowboys of the west
    to the rebels, to teens
    to the farmwife in the fields
    or the farmer
    from truckers
    to prison blues
    from factorys
    and rock and country western musicians
    to the rich
    to the poor
    they have been worn
    to some just on days off
    to others every day of the week
    we wear with comfort
    denim
    very underated in our society

    Written by Vee Parks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 AM  

  • well fren... looks like you've got basf to thank for the invention of indigo...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 AM  

  • BASF did not invent indigo. Indigo was first extracted from a plant in India called Indigo plant or its botanical name Indigofera Tinctoria back in the 8th Century.In 1876 two germans, Adolf Bareyer and Henrich Caro invented the first synthetic indigo dye which was later mass produced by BASF.The praise should go to the Indians.Hep hep hooray...........

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing the poem with us, Procek.

    And thanks to our Anonymous Person for the trouble he or she took to share with us that info.

    Now I know what those three little dots stand for, Tiff!

    Hey, tobacco is a plant too, right? But somebody invented cigars and cigarettes; and sold them back in smart little packs to the natives.

    By Blogger Kri, at 11:54 PM  

  • Hi Kri,
    One of the must question I asked to my would be wife was, can she stand washing my dungarees. You should know how heavy your dungaree will be after being soaked in water. Of course my wife was the one that replied with another question, “How often do you wash your dungaree? If once a month, no sweat! Kri, have you ask her?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 PM  

  • When SM mentioned about washing i remember this joke. I hope all here are matured enough not to get offended:
    A newly married couple returned to their house after being on honeymoon.

    'Care to go upstairs and be in "bed"?' the husband asks.

    `Sshhh ' said the bride. `All the neighbors will know what we're about to do. These walls are paper-thin. In the future, we'll have to ask each other in code. For example, how about asking, "Have you left the washing machine door open" instead?'

    So the following night, the husband asks, `I don't suppose you left the washing machine door open did you?'

    'No, I definitely shut it,' replied the wife who rolled over and went to sleep.

    When she woke up, however, she was feeling a little randy herself and she nudged her husband and said, `I think I did leave the washing machine door open after all. Would you like to do some washing?'

    'No thanks,' said the husband, 'it was only a small load and I've done it by hand.'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home