KRI LEARNS TO BLOG!

Thursday, July 29, 2004

No Speak English, Zana?

When I was manning the front office of a local private college as a Course Counselor last year, I was very impressed by a particular girl who came in to register for the new semester. I was stunned by this vivacious young lady because she spoke to me in plain unhalting English! And she was the only one among scores of school leavers who spoke to me in that language.

But sadly that was the only time, too. She probably succumbed to peer pressure and resorted the local vernacular to express herself in our subsequent conversations. Caught up with her again in the lab yesterday and tried to bring up the issue. Apparently, she only speaks English to her Dad as there is no one else that she can have a decent conversation with, in English. She can say that again. Same problem everywhere in this country. Even I have to speak to myself in the mirror so as not to get rusty.

So, if you're reading this, Zana Merican, do something before you get rusty. Talk into the mirror or better still, start a blog... 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home